Saturday, October 6, 2007

heaven must be some sort of library

A room without books is like a body without a soul.” Marcus Tullius Cicero

When I moved across the country, I was forced to "declutter" my books.
It hurt my soul. But I had to limit myself to a dozen boxes:



Then I made the move and bought every book I could so as to make up for that loss...and also because lots of books are necessary in graduate school. Then I bought two more bookcases for the bedroom, to be used exclusively for fiction and things that I'm too embarrassed to keep in the common space (for example, "What Not to Wear," "Herscopes," and “50 Finest Drinking Games").

And so while I didn't want to declutter, it was necessary. Cue boxes full of fiction I never really liked and non-fiction books that are not relevant to my research:



Yesterday, I dropped off 3 boxes, and at some point I need to drop off the rest (and include all the outbox items with them). The whole experience has not hurt my soul, in fact my soul is happy because right now I'm looking at my pretty new organized bookshelf in the living room:



"Me figuraba el paraíso bajo la especie de una biblioteca." Jorge Luis Borges

No comments: