Saturday, September 15, 2007

Why the Cure?

In theory, decorating an apartment when one is a 25 year old graduate student should not be so difficult. Standards are not high: cash is not readily available and most of our days are spent in the department. When we are home, we read, or if we’re lucky enough to have some free time, collapse into bed.

But it drives me insane to live like this when I know that I could do better. Especially when I know that this is not a temporary situation. I will not be leaving in a year, or two, or three, or four. I bought this place, and I will live here until I get that PhD. So, I need to make this into a home, and some throw pillows just aren’t going to do it. And apparently, when left to my own devices, I simply do not have the discipline to devote myself to the project.

And that’s why I think Apartment Therapy could be a way to that happy home. It’s not just about throw pillows, but about changing the way one thinks about home. And since it’s a group deal, with feedback and everything, I have very high hopes. I thought about doing it last spring, but I wasn’t ready. Now, I am. And I think blogging it is going to be the easiest way to keep track of my progress.

No comments: